Community Vouchers Replace Time Credits in Melksham
Melksham Town Council is stepping up to continue running a volunteer reward scheme in Melksham following the closure of Time Credits in Wiltshire.
Wiltshire Time Credits, run by an organisation called Spice, had been running in Melksham since October 2014. It is a system where people are rewarded for their time spent volunteering with credits that can be spent in participating establishments. People in Melksham have been earning Time Credits by carrying out litter picking and other voluntary activities, which could be spent on movies at Melksham Assembly Hall.
Wiltshire Council was a major spend partner with several facilities and leisure centres taking Time Credits across the county. Since Wiltshire Council pulled out of the Time Credit scheme earlier this year, it has meant that the Wiltshire Network is no longer viable. Spice has decided to close the Wiltshire Time Credit Network which means that the green Spice Time Credits that have been issued across Melksham will no longer be accepted anywhere.
Melksham Town Council recognise that the Time Credit scheme is an excellent way to reward volunteers and have decided to continue running a similar scheme. The details of the scheme are as follows:
- It is called the Melksham Community Voucher Scheme
- Instead of the familiar green Time Credits, the scheme will use new pink vouchers
- A voucher will be distributed to volunteers for every hour spent litter picking (or carrying out another voluntary activity included in the scheme).
- People will be able to redeem their existing green Spice Time Credits that they currently hold for these new pink vouchers (at the Town Hall or Assembly Hall).
- The vouchers will be accepted at the cinema in Melksham Assembly Hall along the same lines (two per film). Films for Spring 2017 are listed below and further details are here.
The regular Tidy Town Days will be an opportunity for people to earn the new vouchers. Tidy Town Days take place normally on the first Sunday of every month between 1pm and 3pm. Show up at the Town Hall at 1pm in suitable outdoor clothes. Tools and gloves will be provided, as well as tea and cake afterwards.
The next Tidy Town Day is on Sundy 5th February 2017 at 1pm at Melksham Town Hall.
For more information get in touch with Miriam on 01225 704187 or Miriam@melkshamtown.co.uk.
As well as joining in litter picking activities, everyone in Melksham can take part in the national one pick litter scheme, where everyone is encouraged to pick up one piece of litter a day. More information can be found here, but it is as simple as picking up one piece of litter every day, which anyone can join in with at any time.