On April 1st 2009, West Wiltshire District Council along with the other three District Councils ceased to exist and a new unitary council was formed with the name "Wiltshire Council." For residents of Melksham some area based committees, such as Planning and Licensing and the majority of local services are still based at Bradley Road, Trowbridge, which is now a sub-office of Wiltshire Council.
Following elections on the 4th June 2009, there are now 98 elected Wiltshire Council members. The six Melksham Electoral Divisions below each have one elected member and constitute the Melksham Area Board voting members:
- Melksham Without North - Cllr Mark Griffiths
- Melksham North - Cllr Rod Eaton (Area Board Vice-Chairman)
- Melksham Central - Cllr Steve Petty
- Melksham South - Cllr Jon Hubbard
- Melksham Without South - Cllr Roy While
- Summerham and Seend - Cllr Jonathon Seed (Area Board Chairman)
All services are now under one management umbrella and there is a central phone number but otherwise services operate as before 1st April. The integration and rationalisation process will now continue under Wiltshire Council.